Sous Vide French Onion Short Rib Sliders
- Baking Dish
- Large Bowl
- Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
- Cooking Container
For the Short Ribs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 lbs short ribs (about 8)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sliders
- 1 onion
- 1 carton sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 12 small buns
- 6-8 slices provolone
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere
For Top of the Bun
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp sauce from the sous vide bag
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Set your Sous Vide to 185°F in a deep water bath (large saucepan, at minimum).
- In a baking dish, marinate short ribs in 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup beef broth, a sprinkle of fresh thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 1/4 cup beef broth, a sprinkle of fresh thyme and salt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add sugar and 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. Mix and simmer for 8-10 more minutes, until onions are golden brown.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- In a plastic bag, place marinated short ribs, the liquid, and the caramelized onions, making sure they're evenly distributed.
- Lay flat and seal the bag using a vacuum sealer.
- Place the sealed short ribs in the water bath to cook for 24 hours.
24 Hours Later
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Retrieve the short ribs from the water bath and pour the contents into a large bowl. Using your hands or a fork), shred the beef. You may be able to salvage a small bit of the first batch of onions, but they'll mostly be mush.
- Cut 1 onion into thin slices and caramelize with sliced mushrooms in butter for 10 minutes. Add sugar and simmer for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Prepare a baking dish with cooking spray and line with the bottom half of the buns.
- Place a layer of provolone cheese, a generous layer of shredded beef, a layer of the caramelized onions and mushrooms, and a layer of shredded Gruyere cheese. Top with the other half of the bun.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter and mix with 3 tbsp of the liquid from the Sous Vide bag, garlic salt, and onion powder.
- Brush the top buns with the mixture and sprinkle with fresh thyme.
- Bake sliders for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot!